Trevor Soames is Managing Partner of the Brussels office and has been practising EU competition and regulatory law for more than 30 years. He has been a resident, living and working in Brussels since 1993. To proclaim his commitment to the EU and continental Europe and to preserve his ability to work in Brussels post-Brexit, Trevor has applied for Belgian citizenship and has no plans to return to the UK post-Brexit. He was admitted to the Barreau de Bruxelles on 5 December 2016 as a Belgian Avocat. This will guarantee essential legal privilege as well as advocacy rights before the EU Courts. Educated at Cambridge University, Trevor is a Barrister (called to the Bar in 1984) and a Solicitor-Advocate.
He was Co-Chair of Howrey’s worldwide antitrust practice and founder of its highly successful Brussels office, which ranked as one of only four Brussels Elite practices by Global Competition Review in 2009 and 2010. After leaving Howrey, Trevor was a partner of Shearman & Sterling until he resigned in October 2016 and joined Quinn Emanuel as a partner in December 2016.
Trevor has long been recognised by the leading directories and commentators as one of a handful of leading Brussels players. He has first chaired many leading cases over the years in multiple areas of EU and indeed UK competition law. These have included mergers, joint ventures, cartels, monopolisation (dominance), state aid and associated litigation including civil damages claims and appeals. A significant portion of his practice relates to complex cases that involve the interface of intellectual property and antitrust, especially in relation to standard essential patents and he has been involved in a significant number of the leading cases in that area. Who’s Who Legal has ranked Trevor as a Thought Leader - Competition 2018. He is also a leading lawyer in the transport sector, especially in shipping and air transport. Trevor has repeatedly been identified by Euromoney as one of the top 20 aviation lawyers in the world and ranked #1 in Belgium in GCR’s International Who’s Who of Aviation Lawyers, praised as “the most prominent competition lawyer in the air transport industry”. Who’s Who Legal 2018 has ranked Trevor for his Regulatory work in the Aviation sector.
Drawing on his experience at the English Bar as both prosecutor and defender in criminal cases, he is well known for his robust and no-holds-barred advocacy. Trevor is proud to defend his clients fiercely and without compromise. In 2010, he and his team were awarded Legal Business’ Competition Team of the Year award for the successful defence of Qualcomm in the 2005-2009 Article 102 investigation. Recent comments on his work include:
- “Soames himself ‘is a samurai’ in his dealings with competition authorities” (Commercial Dispute Resolution, December 2016);
- “one of the top lawyers in the EU competition field: powerful persuasion, great negotiation skills and a very wide knowledge” (Chambers Europe 2016),
- “there is no-one better in the tech space” (Who's Who Legal, Competition 2016),
- “highly knowledgeable, well-connected, and engaging to work with” (Global Competition Review: GCR100 Brussels),
- “very original and strong lawyer” (Chambers Europe 2015),
- “amazing" "unrivalled” (Who's Who Legal, Competition 2013/14),
- “a really smart guy - the experience that he brings is fantastic” (Chambers Europe, Belgium Competition Law 2013) and
- “one of the finest practitioners in the field worldwide” (Who's Who Legal, Competition 2012).