Dr. Jan Axtmann is a German qualified attorney (Rechtsanwalt) and Counsel in Quinn Emanuel’s Mannheim office. He was admitted to practice in 2015. Jan’s practice focuses on national and international commercial and IP litigation, with a particular emphasis on patent litigation.
His practice covers a range of technologies specifically focusing on litigating cases for automotive companies. Since joining the firm in 2018, Jan has been one of the lead attorneys on the appellate level in one of the biggest mass proceedings in Germany. He has represented international clients in numerous cases before trial and appellate courts throughout Germany.
Besides automotive, his experience also includes litigating cases in the fields of telecommunication (SEP/FRAND litigation), micromechanics, medical devices and printing technologies. Jan holds degrees of Heidelberg University (JD equivalent and Ph.D., magna cum laude) and also studied at the University of Bologna, Italy.
Jan was ranked in Litigation by The Best Lawyers In Germany: Ones To Watch, 2023 and 2024, Legal 500 Deutschland as Recommended Lawyer for Intellectual Property: Patent Litigation, 2023 and Labor and Employment Law by The Best Lawyers In Germany: Ones To Watch, 2024.
- Daimler AG
- Everlight Electronics Co. Ltd.
- Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company, Ltd. (TSMC)
- ANCILE Solutions
- Appellate Practice
- Commercial Litigation
- Employment Litigation & Counseling
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Life Sciences Litigation
- Patent Litigation
- Sports Litigation
- Ruprecht Karl University of Heidelberg
(Ph.D., magna cum laude, 2015)
- Higher Regional Court of Frankfurt/Main
(Second State Examination, 2014)
- Ruprecht Karl University of Heidelberg and University of Bologna
(First State Examination, 2010)
- The German Bar (Rechtsanwaltskammer Karlsruhe)
- MELCHERS Rechtsanwälte PartGmbB:
- Associate, 2016-2018
- Associate, 2016-2018
- Dr. Herbert&Zeman:
- Associate, 2015-2016
- Ranked in Litigation by The Best Lawyers in Germany: Ones to Watch, 2023, 2024
- Legal 500 Deutschland – Recommended Lawyer for Intellectual Property: Patent Litigation, 2023
- Ranked in Labor and employment law by The Best Lawyers in Germany: Ones to Watch, 2024
- “Pech im Spiel, Glück bei der Rückforderung?”, Frankfurter Allgemeine, August 16, 2021.
- “Richtlinienvorschlag zur Verbandsklage – kurzer Überblick”, [“Proposed directive on representative actions - brief overview”], Axtmann/Staudigel, ZRP 2020, p. 80
- “Try to fix you - A critical analysis of Germany's attempt at ensuring a better protection of sports integrity by introducing new criminal laws”, Hofmann/Axtmann/Maier, Gaming Law Review, September 2017, Vol. 21, No. 7, p. 493-499
- “Betriebliches Eingliederungsmanagement – eine Chance für Arbeitgeber”, [“The company integration management - a chance for employers”], Axtmann/Gruber, Human Resources Manager 6/2017, p. 74
- „Noch ist Zeit zu handeln!”, [“There is still time to act!”]. Human Resources Manager 3/2017, p. 94
- „EuGH trifft Grundsatzentscheidung zum kirchlichen Selbstbestimmungsrecht”, [“Landmark decision by the ECJ regarding the right of self-determination of churches“], ZMV 03/2017, p. 125
- „Die FIFA-Regelung der Ausbildungsentschädigung im Lichte der EU-Freizügigkeit”, [“The FIFA rules for training compensation payments in the light of the EU rules of the free movement of persons“], Axtmann/Muresan in: Causa Sport 2017, p. 3
- „Die Vorlage von Sportschiedsgerichten zum EuGH nach Art. 267 AEUV”, [“The request of arbitral tribunals for sports to the European Court of Justice with respect to article 267 TFEU“], in: Inspirationen des Sportrechts, Klaus Vieweg (Hrsg.), Duncker & Humblot Verlag, Beiträge zum Sportrecht Band 47, p. 185
- “Die Vorlageberechtigung von Sportschiedsgerichten zum Europäischen Gerichtshof nach Art. 267 AEUV”, [“The capacity of arbitral tribunals for sports to proceed to the ECJ with respect to article 267 TFEU“], PhD, Duncker & Humblot Verlag, Beiträge zum Sportrecht, Band 46
- Member, DAV (German Bar Association)
- Member, Arbeitsgemeinschaft Sportrecht (Sports Law Working Group)