Alexander Leventhal is a senior associate in Quinn Emanuel’s Paris office. He has extensive experience in international commercial and investment arbitration, touching upon multiple sectors, with a particular focus on the energy sector. Alexander has represented clients in commercial arbitrations arising out of contractual disputes and has sought recourse on behalf of clients against States for treaty breaches. Alexander helped lead a team that obtained an order from an ICSID tribunal, which, for the first time, ordered the suspension of extradition proceedings in a third-party State. Alexander acts as Chair for Continental Europe of Young ITA (the young members group of the Institute for Transnational Arbitration) as well as CIArb (Chartered Institute of Arbitrators) YMG (Young Member Group)’s Steering Committee Member for France. Alexander writes and speaks frequently on topics of arbitration in English, French, Portuguese, and Arabic and guided a team that prepared a submission to UNCITRAL Working Group III on behalf of the European Federation for International Law and Arbitration (EFILA). He was also the recipient of the Special Award in the 2014 Young Arbitrators Match, the 2018 CPR Y-ADR Award for Efficient and Effective Collaboration between Corporate Counsel and Outside Counsel along with the 2018 CIArb (Singapore Branch) Competition, and was chosen to serve on the Young ICCA Special Committee for the first edition of the ICCA Guillermo Aguilar-Alvarez Memorial Prize. Alexander was also appointed to act as an Officer on the International Bar Association’s Mediation Committee and the Rules Committee of the International Institute for Conflict Prevention and Resolution (CPR), which is currently engaged in a revision of CPR’s Fast Track Rules.
- University of Pennsylvania Law School
- Institut d’Etudes Politiques de Paris
(Master 2, 2011)
- Université Paris 1 Panthéon-Sorbonne
(Master 2, 2011)
- Harvard University
- Listed in Who’s Who Legal Future Leaders in Arbitration, 2021
- 2018 CPR Y-ADR Award for Efficient and Effective Collaboration between Corporate Counsel and Outside Counsel
- Special Award, 2014 Young Arbitrators Match
- Speaker, “A Tour Around the Arbitration World - Commonalities and Divergences in a Time of Disruption”, 32nd Annual ITA Workshop and Annual Meeting, 17 June 2020.
- Moderator, “The Future of Intelligence in International Arbitration – Artificial Intelligence & Arbitrator Intelligence”, Young ITA, 5 March 2020, Geneva, Switzerland.
- Speaker, “Tel Aviv Arbitration Day: Young Arbitration Practitioners’ Symposium”, Tel Aviv Arbitration Day, 4 March 2020, Tel Aviv, Israel.
- Moderator, “2019 – A Year in Review”, 16 January 2020, Paris, France.
- Speaker, “Young ICCA Skills Training Workshop on Document Management and Production in International Arbitration: Perspectives from Civil and Common Law” Young ICCA, 17 November 2019, Dubai, UAE.
- Moderator, “International Arbitration(s): Legal Culture and the Prague Rules”, CIArb, 3 April 2019, Paris, France.
- Speaker, “Ongoing Challenges to International Investment Arbitration,” Penn Law International Arbitration Conference, 22 March 2019, Philadelphia, PA.
- Moderator, “Arbitration and Mediation at a Crossroads”, CIArb YMG, 6 February 2019, Paris, France.
- Panelist, “2018 Year-In-Review”, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (CIArb) Young Members Group (YMG), 19 December 2018, Paris, France.
- Speaker, “Mid-Year Meeting”, American Society of International Law (ASIL) 10 November 2018, Los Angeles, California.
- Faculty Member, “Young ICCA Skills Training Workshop on Cross-examination in International Arbitration”, ICCA, 14 September 2018, Brussels, Belgium.
- Speaker, “ICC YAF Event on Conflicts of Arbtirators”, Belgrade Arbitration Conference,” ICC YAF, 17 March 2018, Belgrade, Serbia.
- Panelist, “ICC YAF: The Global Supply Supply Chain of Arbitration: Is It a Saturated Profession?”, ICC YAF, Cambridge Arbitration Day, 2 March 2018, Cambridge, UK.
- Speaker, “International Arbitration, between Innovation & Tradition: Rethinking Cultural and Legal Diversity in Light of the Internationalization and Standardization of the Arbitration Practitioner,” Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (CIArb) Young Members Group (YMG), Annual Conference, 6 December 2017, Paris, France.
- Moderator, “Arbitrator’s Studio: Bernard Hanotiau,” Paris Very Young Arbitration Practitioners (PVYAP), 17 November 2016, Paris, France.
- Moderator, “Arbitrator’s Studio: Brigitte Stern,” PVYAP, 23 April 2015, Paris, France.
- Panelist, “Pathways into a Career in International Arbitration,” ICC Court Symposium, 30 March 2014, Vienna, Austria.
- Speaker, “The Dodd-Frank Reform in Light of EU Law,” Italian Society of Law and Economics,16 December 2011, Turin, Italy.
- Speaker, “Retooling Corporate Governance,” Bocconi University School of Law, 10 March 2010,Milan, Italy.
- Speaker, “Regulating Islamic Finance,” OECD-MENA Islamic Finance Technical Workshop,5 July 2007, London, UK.
- Speaker, “Convergence in Recent Trends of Islamic Finance,” Arab Financial Forum/Cambridge University Interfaith Initiative, 4 July 2007, London, UK.
- “L’influence du droit français dans la zone MENA”, Revue internationale du droit comparé, forthcoming (with A. Makhlouf, A. Ben Mansour, and J. Hage Chahine).
- “The European Commission – Ami Fidèle or Faux Ami? Exploring Decisions on the Commission’s Applications to Intervene as a Non-Disputing Party under ICSID Arbitration Rule 37(2)”, EFILA Review, forthcoming (with A. Shreedhar).
- “Ensuring Equitable Access to All Stakeholders: Critical Suggestions for the MIC”, Submission by the European Federation for Investment Law and Arbtiration (EFILA) to the UNCITRAL Working Group No. III on ISDS Reforms, 15 July 2019.
- Co-Author, “Ensuring Equitable Access to All Stakeholders: Critical Suggestions for the MIC”, Submission by the European Federation for Investment Law and Arbtiration (EFILA) to the UNCITRAL Working Group No. III on ISDS Reforms, 15 July 2019.
- The Federal Arbitration Act and American competence-competence: demystifying the Supreme Court decisions in Schein and New Prime, International Bar Association Arbitration Committee Newsletter (March 2019).
- Back to the Future: Young Voices Reflect on How the Past Year in International Arbitration Will Inform Upcoming Years at CIArb, YMG and Young ITA Event, Kluwer Arbitration Blog (26 January 2019) (with A. Gerdau de Borja and R. Digon).
- The 2018 Proposals for Amendments of the ICSID Rules: ICSID Enters the Era of Trump, Populism, and State Sovereignty, 22 ASIL Insights (19 October 2018).
- Towards an Exceptio Fundati? Assessing a (Potentially) Emerging Exception for Third Party Funding in Investment Treaty Decisions on Security for Costs in the Wake of Armas v. Venezuela, Kluwer Arbitration Blog (18 September 2018).
- Ordre Arbitral, Ordre Souverain : Le juge de l’exequatur devant la sentence internationale et la
- décision d’annulation – Une lecture de la jurisprudence aux Etats-Unis, CAHIERS DE L’ARBITRAGE .
- Jurisprudência Internacional: Corrupção e Arbitragem, 59 REVISTA BRASILEIRA DE ARBITRAGEM 167.
- Corporate Counsel Are from Mars, Outside Counsel Are from Venus: Building a Successful
- Attorney-Client Relationship through Communication, 36 ALTERNATIVES 116 (2018).
- What to Expect When Arbitrating in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia in Arbitration in the Middle East – Expectations and Challenges for the Future (TDM 2 2015) (with Jean-Pierre Harb).
- Chapter 22: Objections to Jurisdiction in LEADING ARBITRATORS GUIDE TO ARBITRATION (2014, Eds. Lawrence W. Newman and Richard D. Hill) (with Sigvard Jarvin).
- Jurisprudência Internacional: Impugnacão do Árbitro, 39 REVISTA BRASILEIRA DE ARBITRAGEM 151 (2014).
- Why Venezuela Ought to Reconsider its Withdrawal from ICSID, CARIBBEAN J. (2013).
- The New Saudi Arbitration Law, 30 J. OF INT’L ARB. 113 (2013) (with Jean-Pierre Harb).
- Inside-Out Corporate Governance, 32 J. OF CORP. L. 147 (2012) (with Prof. David Skeel).
- CONVERGENCE TRENDS IN ISLAMIC FINANCE (Arab Financial Forum 2007, Ed.).